Thursday, July 22, 2010

Malaria not poison killed Medici

An interesting case has been solved regarding one of the Medici clan - Francesco I and his wife Biana Cappello. Read the full article here.

It's really incredible that we can do forensic tests on people long dead (almost five hundred years in this case) but I have to wonder if it doesn't tread a little bit on my own feelings of ethical behavious. I'm not an archaeologist and my interest in that area is purely amateur and theoretical. I love to learn new discoveries and so on but in cases like this I have to wonder what's the price?
I don't know, call me old fashioned but should the dead not be left to lie in peace? Isn't that the whole point of dying - to rest in peace? But then, as a historian what wouldn't we know, what secrets would still remain hidden from us if we didn't go digging around in the past? It's a quandry of Medicean proportions, I assure you.

Kirsty x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yes the dearly departed should be able to rest in peace, but, doesn't new evidence give you and other writers and history lovers the excuse to 're-write' it?