Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Birthdays, Easter and Blessings Abound

April is a very busy time for us - birthdays, anniversaries, Anzac Day, Easter (this year), school holidays, plus the glorious arrival of autumn.
Today even has a bite of winter to it with a top of 10 degrees (!!) and snow around the region. According to El Capitan we have had 6 days of morning frost in a row, which is a first since 1970-something. Suffice to say, chilly nights!!

Easter Friday was a quiet celebration at home. We got all dressed up and I even laid the table out all purty style. We had The Meal, salad and all the lovely trimmings. Then it was off to the Gong for more partying.

It was my daughter's first birthday last week and we had a little party with all the family. A big thanks to my sister-in-law who offered up her lovely house as a last-minute-wet-weather plan. Due my daughter's allergies - dairy, egg and nut - I made her cake with a recipe I found online. I doubled the following recipe and sandwiched it with jam in the middle, only because I had to feed twenty-odd people(as in roughly, not that the people were odd. Well....). Here's the recipe for one cake serve:

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Birthday Cake.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 teaspoons white vinegar

Method

Preheat oven to 175 degrees C

Sift dry ingredients together

Make 3 wells in dry mixture. Fill one with water, one with oil and one with vinegar. Don't worry when it all runs together.

Stir with a fork.

Place in a 9 x 13" pan and then into the oven.

Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes. A skewer should come out clean.

Icing

2 cups icing sugar, sifted
125 grams of Nuttelex Lite (butter substitute, the original Nuttelex does not work for icing)
1/2 cup rice milk.

Beat icing sugar and butter together til white and fluffy.
Slowly add the milk - you may not need the whole amount, see how you go.
When it's at the consistency you like for spreading add the food colouring.
Spread on to the cake and decorate with whatever dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free decorations you like.

I used sugar marshmallows to make a number 1 down the middle. But as the day was so busy I don't actually have a photo to show you. This is the best I could find. Sorry!


I love this shot. It's of the birthday girl going head to head with her much older cousin. They then proceeded to wrestle on the floor!! That's my girl!



Here's a pic of my three monkeys - see if you can spot them all!!


And finally, another picture I love of my two lovely children on mother's day, caught unawares in a candid moment. Sometimes they get along really well, others, not so much. But this one just melts my heart!! Such a tender hug!




We have my daughter's Baptism coming up this weekend, so it's the same lovely bunch of people crashing our place this time. Lots of cooking ahead. Good thing the weather is so yucky out. The only down side is the tummy bug that is going through our house at the moment - although so far it's only my son, fingers crossed! We don't want our lovely guests to go home with more than nice memories of the Baptism!

I've also been doing a lot of writing on my new book, Pepper Ridge Lane, but I'll outline all of that success in a new post later this week.

Kirsty x


No comments: