Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Scottish Prisoner





It's been a while since I've done a review and I actually finished this book last month - I'm just getting around to reviewing it now!

For those of you who know, I am a big Diana Gabaldon fan and any of the Outlander books are a delight for me to read. I wasn't sure how I would go with The Scottish Prisoner though, because technically it is a Lord John book and although I love Lord John I wasn't expecting what I got in The Scottish Prisoner.

Gabaldon has, for the first time that I am aware, incorporated a fair amount of magic and superstition in this book. Of course magic exists in the other books, what with Claire travelling back in time and all, but the way in which she dealt with it in this book was really very nice.

Based on the premise that the Stuart cause could make yet another comeback, this time in Ireland, Lord John and Jamie Fraser head there to find out what is going on. This coincides happily with a military case that Lord John and his brother Hal (the quintessential officer and gentleman) are investigating. The two cases turn out to be linked and Gabaldon, as always, weaves a story that is believable yet is also a joy to read.

The Druid cup is said to contain powers that will help reunite all those wishing to rebel from the English monarchy (in this book that is predominantly the Irish as the Scottish are still suffering greatly from their failed rebellion) and Jamie Fraser has some rather mystical experiences with the cup. But knowing, as he does, the future he knows there is no hope for the Stuart cause.

It was really nice to have Jamie back and although I missed Claire it was a nice book that explored the complex and intricate relationship between Jamie and Lord John. It was definitely worth the read, and even better, was a nice thick size more akin to the other Outlander books than the Lord John series.

If you're interested in Outlander then you'll enjoy this book, and even if you have no experience with that series this book would stand alone rather well regardless. Read it if you love historical fiction, dabbles in magic, great humour and 18th century England.

No comments: