Saturday, September 19, 2020

Spring in the garden

 The garden is bursting forth in all its spring glory! As I mentioned in earlier posts, the rain has been so abundant this year, that even the grass did not die off during winter. But now with all the fruit trees in bloom the colour is just majestic! For me, there is something so soothing and uplifting to see all of spring's colour just outside our window. It has taken over ten years (and most of these plants shown below we have planted in that time) but I can now look out my windows and see my cottage garden coming along. It hasn't been easy, with our long, hot summers and cold, frosty winters, but we are getting there. Many lessons have been learnt along the way and as the trees and plants take root (as do we, I suppose) they continue to thrive. Bloom where you're planted is the old adage that comes to mind here. 

These plum trees are always great producers. During long summer hours of playing in the pool or with the slip-n-slide and the kids get hungry, my motto is: "Go and grab a plum from one of the trees!" We have three of these producing plums and they are all different and all delicious. Last year though we lost a couple of harvests to the cockatoos, so this year I will be netting early as I would love to have enough fruit to enjoy fresh but also to make into jam. 



These gorgeous pink blooms are from the nectarine tree. I hope this is a promise for a good harvest!



                                            

There are more flowers around the yard, each unique and bringing colour and charm to my budding cottage garden. So much joy in these simple pleasures!

Even my lovely hydrangea is awakening after the winter. I really hope we get flowers this year as the heat and drought last year meant not a one 😞

The bulbs are flourishing. Although the jonquils are gone and the daffodils are on their way out, the grape hyacinth, snow-drops and tulips are coming along nicely. 


Crop-wise, here are the new wicking beds that we established this winter.

Currently they have zucchini and spinach seeds in them. Well, we thought they were just seeds, but already the zucchini is sprouting. They are warm and protected here against the wall and get plenty of morning sun. 
The chickens got into the snow peas, but thankfully the plants were saved. I love fresh snow peas picked straight off the vine. These guys look like they could do with a drink this afternoon. 
Our seed potatoes have also sprouted early. They will be covered over shortly with another layer of dirt to help them grow and establish under the earth. Potatoes like to be covered as they turn green if they have too much sunlight. And yes, that is flat-leaf parsley in the background, still going strong after all autumn and winter!



And to finish off, a photo of the king parrot that was spotted visiting our seed tray the other day. I love it when the rosellas come but these birds are so impressive! His mate had a greenish face, but she was just as lovely.


As the weather is still yo-yoing here in Canberra, I don't expect this lovely Spring-weather to last. I just hope there isn't too many big frosts, especially now as all these plants, flowers and vegetables are sprouting. Having learnt from the past, we have plenty of sheets and shade cloths in case we do get that inevitable frost. Rain is forecast for the next week (truly, it still amazes to expect to see rain for a whole week in Canberra!) so I'm hoping everything will continue to flourish and grow. 

I hope the sun is shining wherever you are today and you take the time to enjoy the flowers.

No comments: