Sunday, September 27, 2009

A World Lit Only By Fire


Yesterday I went to see Bangarra Dance Theatre's performance of Fire: A Retrospective at the Sydney Opera House with my mum. It was brilliant. The collection, which their website describes as: "the most memorable and potent elements of the company’s repertoire during this extraordinary and dynamic artistic period" contains work from the company's last 20 years since its inception.

(This picture has been taken from their website, which I acknowledge - I hope that's all right!)

The dancers were amazing and so fit! Anyone who has seen Indigenous dancing, or Indigenous-inspired dancing knows that it can be a very full on form of dancing with lots of jumping, bouncing, stamping etc. I really enjoyed the production and considering that last night was the final performance, I can't recommend you all to go and see it! But keep an eye out for them in the future, it's a spectular experience that you can really take away a lot from.

I found myself, in the second half of the performance, thinking about my novel. I don't know why or how, but sometimes I think being around creativity and inspired works causing inspiration in others too. I've made a few changes already this morning to my second novel, which by the way now has the working title, "For Tomorrow We May Die" and I'm really looking forward to it now. New ideas have since started to flow and the story seems to developing a lot more shape and depth.

Speaking of fire, we had an incredibly eeried dust storm here in Sydney and in other parts of NSW this week. It brought to mind the Medieval/early Renaissance text title - "A World Lit Only By Fire" by William Manchester (whose title I've kindly borrowed for the title of this post). I didn't actually take any pics myself but here are some that I found online. (Hover over the pic for web locations).





It was totally mindblowing and more than a little apocalyptic. The really scary thing is that the air pollution levels skyrocketed through the levels of safety. Normally around 200 is considered "hazardous" (200 what I'm not entirel sure) but on Wednesday they hit an impressive 1700! Needless to say, BT and I did our very best to stay indoors.

Suddenly that book I was going to write about nuclear fallout in the future isn't looking as much "science-fiction" as it is "non-fiction." Scary what we're doing to this world. If you're interested in some blogs or sites on climate change or global warming, here are some that I found.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/global-warning-sydney-dust-storm-just-the-beginning-20090923-g1fi.html

http://www.climateark.org/blog/

http://www.globalwarminghysteria.com/ - this one is for those of you who think that Global Warming is all mass hysteria. Hey, I don't judge you...

Well, there's only so much each of us can do to help our planet and for my part, today I'm going antiquing. That way I'm buying recycled goods from small, independent stores that do not contribute to the mass conglomerations of malls and department stores. :)

Happy Sunday k.v-ettes

(or Happy Winds-day as we say around here - it's so windy!! Cheers Pooh Bear!!)

Bacci
xx

No comments: