Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Zucchini and Chocolate Muffins

As the creative title of this post suggests, this is a recipe for dairy-free, egg-free zucchini and chocolate muffins.
I may have mentioned before that my daughter has allergies; namely egg, dairy and nut. And cat hair. But seeing as we cook so little with that these days, I haven't had the need to develop recipes to accomodate such an allergy.

Most of the time I take 'normal' recipes and adapt them. That's what I did with this. I use Nuttelex which is a dairy-free, preservative-free margarine. So many margarines are chock full of preservatives that many allergy-prone kids are allergic to them because of the preservatives. So I use Nuttelex. I also use Orgran No-Egg Replacer. And soy milk. But if you have an allergy to soy, then rice milk often substitutes well.

Can I just say, before you start to think ew, gross who wants all those 'pretend' ingredients these muffins are delicious and sweet and gooey and none of the aforementioned ingredients are tasteable.

Also, another disclaimer. I'm not one for hiding vegies in kid's food, but I had some extra zucchini and thought I'd be creative. Zucchini and chocolate are actually a very delightful couple. And again, can't taste the zucchini so if hiding vegies is your thing, then this is one for you.

So....here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

3 tsps Orgran
3 tablespoons water
1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp bi carb soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
(For these last four ingredients, I just used a teaspoon of mixed spice :)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease or line 2 x 12 cup muffin tins with patty pans.
2. Mix orgran and water in a large bowl until frothy.
3. Add sugar and oil to orgran mix and beat until light. Add the cocoa, vanilla, zucchini and stir well.
4. Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix until just moist.
5. Pour batter into trays 2/3 full.
6. Bake at 180° for 20-25 mins.

And then enjoy :)

No comments: