Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day


My daughter is sick. She has been for the past few days and yesterday and today I have had to hold her, wrapped in a blanket, until she fell asleep for her afternoon nap. I haven't had to do that since I stopped nursing her to sleep when she was ten months old.

Now she's two.

And since she started self settling, all those months ago, she has been a light sleeper, which means any squeaky tread on the floorboards in her room would wake her up.
Which in turn means, I haven't been able to spy on her while she's sleeping as much I do my son, who is quite a deep sleeper.

I like watching my babies sleep. It reminds me of a saying ' You love them a little bit more when they're asleep.'
Hmm, so true :)

Anyway the last two days has given me the chance to watch my 'baby' (as she still will be for another five months) sleep. With the new one due in October I didn't think I'd have to hold a child to sleep before then. So I've been pleasantly surprised by how much the last two days have meant to me.

Watching  her sleep, enjoying that heavy, slack feeling in my arms....it's what makes motherhood all worth it.

Until they grow up and eventually no longer need that. My son, if he could, would have me hold him to sleep every night - even though he's four. Every morning he gets - floor boards alerting me to the fact - and sneaks in with me. Depending on the time (anything after 6 is okay) I let him climb in next to me. And for the next thirty or forty minutes we cuddle and enjoy very quiet time together.

Which is a nice change since he doesn't stop for the rest of the day!!

For those of you who are mothers I hope you are having a wonderful day. And to my own mum, thanks mum for everything! You're an inspiration and you mean more to us and the kids than you realise. We can't wait for your visit this week!!

Love Kirsty

No comments: