Tuesday, October 9, 2012

spanish lessons


For nine painstaking years I learned Spanish. Through primary, high school and then finally university I never gave up on learning the language that I loved so much. It was hard work and I still wasn't even fluent. My high school Spanish teacher, a short, beautiful, inspiring Chilean woman said to me once that if I ever wanted to be fluent in Spanish I needed a Spanish boyfriend.

So I married a Spanish speaking man. The Captain's family comes from Uruguay and the learning of Spanish in his childhood was a very important thing. Thankfully he agrees with me that the kids should learn Spanish in our home, instead of laboring over it like I did for years with textbooks and tapes (or podcasts, or whatever the crazy kids are listening to these days!!)

So since our son was born in 2008 it has been the Captain's role to speak only in Spanish to our kids. Now that baby number three has arrived and that first child is almost five, he has done a wonderful job and they have a good grounding in their comprehension of Castellana. Since my mother-in-law took over babysitting duties last year while I worked their Spanish has improved even more.

My parents-in-law recently returned from a holiday in Spain. And here a couple of books that they brought with them to continue our children's Spanish lessons. 



via

This one came with a CD Rom which we have yet to look at.  The book itself talks about the history of the Spanish language, where it originated and its development over the centuries.  The pictures are gorgeous; colourful and very child-friendly. The story is told from the point of view of a young girl Lena and her brother Lito. 
The story is quite in-depth and may be a bit over the heads of my four and two year olds. I would suggest that it is more relevant for 8-10 year olds.


via

After a visit to the Alhambra in Granada, they brought this back for the kids. Like the previous book it has great pictures and a very comprehensive history that may be a bit advanced for my littlies. But any history of Spain is going to be encouraged in this house, regardless!!

I think it's really important that my kids not only know how to speak Spanish but understand the history behind it. Although their family is not from Spain it doesn't matter. They will in time, also learn about the history of their ancestors in Uruguay.



This is a cute little book about dinosaurs that was brought for my son. It includes colouring in, vocabulary, stickers and writing activities. A big hit!! I think it is the activity book that accompanies the That's not my...series of children's book. Lots of fun.

So, although my own brain is a bit baby-adled the kids' language lessons are well in hand and for that I am very glad.


No comments: