Thursday, October 25, 2012

summer viewing


When it comes to watching movies I'm a true creature of habit. I would much rather watch a movie I've already seen a hundred times then venture out into new cinematic viewing. This habit often brings despair to The Captain ("what? not this one again??!!) but what can I say? When I find a good thing I stick to it.

So, just because the weather is warming up I've decided to compile a list of my favourite summer movies, that is the movies I like to watch in summer :)

In no particular order, here are my favourite summer movies.

1. Mamma Mia!
Nothing kicks off summer like a dance around a Greek island with Abba!! I can't watch this movie in winter because it makes me too depressed, being cold and stuck indoors, so I savour it in the warmer months.

2. My Life in Ruins
Sticking with the Greek theme I love this movie. It makes me want to go to Greece and do a tour of all the wonderful sites there. Watched this one the other night :) And I might add, Poupi is pretty darn hot!!

3. Bread and Tulips (Pan e Tulipani)
It's just a hop, skip and a jump over to Italy from Greece for this movie. Now that I think about it, I didn't realise that so many of my summer movies had a European setting :) I love the crazy antics of the Italian housewife in this movie who, after being left behind by her family on a holiday, decides to live it up by herself in Venice. Love it!! I've only ever been in Venice in winter, but I have to say it looks pretty special in summer too! Andiamo!

4. Priceless (Hors de Prix)
Over to France now, the French Riviera to be exact with the gorgeous Audrey Tautou and an equally charming Gad Elmaleh. Audrey is great as a gold-digger who unknowingly falls for a lowly hotel bartender. The beautiful scenery and the rich and famous set of this famous French city is great. I could totally see myself there...except for the rather obvious lack of tan...and money...and having three small children with me...hmmm, perhaps not...but I can always dream. And watch Priceless!!

5. Dirty Dancing
Did someone say rich and famous set? Where else would the rich go in the 1950s for their summer holidays than Max Kellerman's resort? This is a classic and to be honest I could watch it any time of year. Filled with classic lines ("nobody puts Baby in the corner;" "Go back to your playpen Baby;" "He wouldn't know a new idea if it hit him in the pachanga!" Sorry I'll stop now...) and the always gorgeous Patrick Swayze who plays bad-boy with a soft heart, Johnny Castle who can resist??

6. The Last Song
Now, I debated putting this on, because it's a little bit daggy but I'm trying to be honest here (without honesty folks where are we? hmm??). So, although it's not a classic, nor is it European something about Miley and that cute Hemsworth boy (Liam? Chris?) won me over. Great coming of age film set in a Southern American town during the summer.

I couldn't cut it down to 5 and I couldn't reach 10 either. So 6 it is :)

What about you? Got any great summer movies I should check out? Especially if I've already seen them before. Because if I haven't, then well, I may not watch them...

No comments: