Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Monster Madness


We have entered into a whole new phase of our simple, quiet life around here. That of kindergarten. My son has started school which means that I am now on drop off and pick up duty.

Everyday.

This is really big for someone who never really had to be anywhere at anytime. And I must say I'm having a little trouble adjusting to it :)

My son, on the other hand, is having a wonderful time at school. He's making new friends (so now he doesn't have to play with the girls that he already knew from pre-school :) and really seems to like and respect his teacher. That's all a parent can ask for really. And it's okay with me if he wants me to stay there until their morning assembly is over and they are on their way to the classroom. It kind of helps me in a way too. And it makes navigating the very small carpark easier too. I have to think about these things now.

February also heralded another important milestone in my son's life. He turned five. Now I must admit I may have gone a bit overboard with the preparations for this party, but when he requested a monster theme I just couldn't help myself.

I started researching it on the internet. 

And then I set up a board on pinterest, which sort of nudged me along a bit further.

And a bit further.

Until...well see for yourself.


There were rock monsters. Hand painted by the kids, myself and my mother in law. We had lots of fun with these guys! They were hidden in the garden and were part of a treasure hunt!




 Face painting. Myself and my son in deep concentration :)


Monsters in slime, which were part of the kids' party bags to take home with them. There was also a giant bucket for the kids to dig for eyeballs at the party. My thirteen year old nephew set the tone by eyeball diving with his mouth. Full face of slime later and no pictures to show for it!!



 Monster sandwiches. Fairly self-explanatory :)


The outdoor scene.


Little girls in monster masks.


 Homemade monster party bags with containers of slime.


Monster cupcakes made by my sister and I (amidst much hildarity the night  before the party).

And the piece de resistance...



Complete with apple peel spew. What more does a five year old boy's birthday party need??

So I'm happy to say that I had no original ideas for this party, but thanks to pinterest who needs an original idea these days??? But it was still a lot of work and planning for a great day. The fact that it reached 36 degrees right at the peak of the party only added to our sweaty, monster fun.

The friends and family who could be there (sadly there was a family emergency on the day which kept my mum and grandparents away ) made it extra special and I am so grateful for everyone's help. To my sister who kept me sane and helped with cupcakes and face painting (and was also the willing guinea pig the night before for the face design :) you are always welcome in our house Mich.

And to my sister and brother in law who arrived with their wonderful children and slipped into the sandwich-production line like a champ. Not to mention their continual support/help and baby sitting duties for the entire weekend. We loved having you guys camped out in the backyard :)

My mother in law, despite her husband being hospitalised the day before still managed to turn up with a delicious tortilla in hand. And then, my father in law arrived for a small visit, bandages and all.

My dad and his partner and my other sister and her family travelled down on the day, again some in states of post-operation and others in states of confinement :) Yet I am so glad that they all came and shared this special day with my son. I think this may be the one that he remembers when he gets older.

I know the Captain and I will never forget it. Now we are looking forward to the fairy party that is being forcefully wistfully requested for our soon-to-be three year old girl. Off to pinterest I go.....

No comments: