Sunday, February 24, 2013

reading it up, writing it down

via


A Book by Edgar Guest

“Now” - said a good book unto me -
“Open my pages and you shall see
Jewels of wisdom and treasures fine,
Gold and silver in every line,
And you may claim them if you but will
Open my pages and take your fill.

“Open my pages and run them o’er,
Take what you choose of my golden store.
Be you greedy, I shall not care -
All that you seize I shall gladly spare;
There is never a lock on my treasure doors,
Come - here are my jewels, make them yours!

“I am just a book on your mantel shelf,
But I can be part of your living self;
If only you’ll travel my pages through,
Then I will travel the world with you.
As two wines blended make better wine,
Blend your mind with these truths of mine.

“I’ll make you fitter to talk with men,
I’ll touch with silver the lines you pen,
I’ll lead you nearer the truth you seek,
I’ll strengthen you when your faith grows weak -
This place on your shelf is a prison cell,
Let me come into your mind to dwell!”

The weather seems to be making its way rather rapidly toward autumn here in the 'berra, which means lots of rain and time spent indoors. What a perfect time to pick a book!! (Although for some of us a waking moment is a perfect time to pick up a book :)

I am still ploughing through Homer's Odyssey but I've also acquired a few new books which I'm making my way through at the moment. They are Buddhism for Mothers by Sarah Naphtali, a beautiful book which is helping me deal with my anger and frustration in regards to the kids. I wish I was a gentle parent and this book is helping me get there :) I love it's very practical suggestions and Napthali's words speak right to my heart.

Patriarchs of Time by Samuel L. Macey is a book that I got for Christmas. I am only up to the third chapter but it has already impacted on Orpheus and every page I read continues to inspire and delight me. I also love his research, especially into the 16th and 17th century emblematic depictions of Father Time. In other research I have also been browsing through some Petrarch, the Bible (as much as one can browse through the Bible) and Orpheus' Hymns.

Sherlock Holmes: A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I have a wonderful app of Sherlock Holmes stories on my iphone so that no matter where I am I can tap into this amazing character and share his magnificent adventures. (And as an aside, as a Holmes fan I am also appreciative of the new tv show Elementary. I like the new take on an old classic :) It's good when I need to sit in with the kids as they go to sleep because being on my phone I don't need a lamp on to read.

And with the impending release (well, US Autumn/Fall 2013) of Diana Gabaldon's new book Written in My Own Heart's Blood I am seriously considering going back to re-read An Echo in the Bone. The one I had autographed :) I've only read it the once so I think it's time I went back over it again. 

What are you reading? Share below - I'm always on the look out for something good.

No comments: