Wednesday, October 1, 2014

7 Quick Takes

1. Spring has sprung!

Finally the spring holidays have arrived and we're even having decent weather! We have spent a lot of time out in the garden of course, planning patios and garden beds and just enjoying the arrival of colour once more. This is one of my favourite things about living in Canberra, and also one of my least favourite - the very distinct change in seasons!

2. Wounds are healing.

The big bloody gash on Tess's head has scarred over nicely and it is mostly hidden by her hair which is a good thing.
I'm still contributing to my physio's down payment on an apartment by going there every week. Work on back and shoulder is slow. The tailbone recover is also slow go but there is definite improvement there (after six months!)

3. Birthdays abound.

We celebrated Tess's second birthday today at the park by the lake. Good friends and grandparents made an appearance which made it an extra special day. We love that girl!! Although she doesn't always make it easy, I'm sure there must have been at least ten tantrums today. terrible twos! eh?? 
Heading to Wollongong on Saturday to catch up with the family for more birthday fun.

4. Puzzle.

Now that I finally have my study back (two big kids are sharing a room again) I've been looking at
my patiently waiting pile of puzzles and feeling the urge. Today after the party I cracked this one out, having fun with it!


5. Science at home.

We've all been enjoying my role as a science teacher at school this yea. The kids love the experiments I've been bringing home like the Surface tension experiment, the fossil making, and the crystal stars. These last two are planned for these holidays. Hopefully I'll get some hood pictures :)

6. Preschool at home.

Gabby and I have started a little preschool program at home. She's not terribly keen on it but I'm following Susan Wise Bauer's advice that given a choice most children wouldn't actually choose to sit down and learn but if you can coax them into it a little bit each day, the learning will come. Am loving her book 'The Well Trained Mind.'
 Basic alphabet and sound recognition is our first step but she's also keen to try writing. Her favourite activity is an alphabet app on the iPad, but I try and encourage more hands on stuff at this stage.

7. Orpheus gets a facelift.

This should come as no surprise; this book has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers, but I'm really happy with the way it is going at the moment. I think I may even do a 7 quick takes next week just on Orpheus so that I have in writing what I'm planning and why I like this version so much. Just in case I forget again :)












No comments: