Friday, August 28, 2009

Let's hear it for the boy...

I was reading something the other day about Robert Louis Stevenson, the author of "Treasure Island."



Apparently when Stevenson was writing his novel in 1881 he would often read the latest chapters out loud to his family who would add suggestions. I thought this was a pretty darn good idea and asked my dad, a retired history teacher and avid reader (especially of historical fiction - must run in the blood!!), if he wouldn't mind having a read of my story and boy was I glad that I did!! I got some great feedback from him. He made a lot of really useful comments like alternate words, parts that weren't particularly clear and other suggestions to make the story sound more like written English and less like the spoken word.


This is often a problem that many writers face when they are writing; that is, they write like they speak. Now for some writers, such as Junot Diaz in "The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Diaz", a book I was unable to put down and had a lot of fun reading. It is so completely different to my novel that I loved it! (When possible I try and avoid reading fiction that is too closely related to my area - with the exception of Diana Gabaldon of course!)
or Judge Edwin Torres' "Carlito's Way" (made into one of my all time favourite flicks of the same name)




or even the stream of consciousness that characterises Jack Kerouac in "On the Road" and "Dharma Bums", this is fine.


In fact it is better than fine - it is a highly skillful way of writing. For the rest of us who are writing fictional pieces, in particular historical fiction or romance fiction, I'm not sure if it works as well. I have yet to read any :)

As for me, I know that I cannot possibly write like the aforementioned authors, and nor do I have any intention of trying. It's just not the vision I have for my book. So, having my dad edit my work for me has been a huge bonus.

I did a fair bit of reworking on one of the earlier chapters myself yesterday and today. It was a scene set in the Uffizi gallery in Florence, Italy. I have been there but that was almost 7 years ago now (where do the years go??) So I had to do a fair bit of online research. The two sites that I found most helpful were the Uffizi's site (http://www.uffizi.com/) and the Virtual Tour website of the gallery (www.virtualuffizi.com/uffizi/index.htm). Both of these sites helped me to write the scene as authentically as possible.

And for those of you who are interested here's a sneak peak at the Uffizi's famous checkered hallway.


When I do scenes like this it always blows my mind to think how lucky I am to have the internet and how totally fantastic those historical writers of the past who did not have such immediate access to information were to write their novels. One of the novels that is coming to my mind is "Burmese Days" by George Orwell.


I know that George (we're on first name basis you know!) spent a lot of time in Burma during a military posting but to recall it as vividly as he did was so impressive. I felt like I was actually living in the jungle with Florey. Apparently George's pusblishers feared libel action for this work due to the possibility that it was based on real people. Well I can guarantee you that all my characters are purely fictional (not that I presume to put my novel in the same league as one of George Orwell's!) And if I do take inspiration from somewhere it is other pieces of fiction. For example, in my mind Giovanni looks remarkably like John Winchester (the father) in "Supernatural" (played by Jeffry Dean Morgan) only younger and with more red in his hair :)


Well looking back over this post it seems to me to be a bit of a homage to some of the talented men who have touched my mind and imagination. This was purely incidental, but I suppose that as I began talking about my dad it seems like a fitting way for the post to turn out. So I'd like to send out a big THANK YOU to my dad, Robert Louis Stevenson, Junot Diaz, Edwin Torres, Jack Kerouac, George Orwell and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, for the wonderful impact you have had on my life.
And in that vein I'd also like to acknowledge my wonderful, supportive and loving husband and my beautiful baby boy! I love you both!!
Who knows maybe next time I'll do a post on all the wonderful women I love!!


Ciao for now xxx








No comments: