Sunday, April 15, 2012

Term one is done!

Term one - one of the hardest and longest terms I've had to do in a long time - is finally over!!

It's been hard what with all the vomiting, low blood pressure and simple tiredness. As you can imagine my classes may have been lacking their usual punch in the delivery!! (read: lots of textbook and copying down work!!)

But we made it. I was pretty pleased with the work we got through, although the kids really did drop off in attendance (perhaps it had something to do with my awesome lesson plans!)
Anyway, I thought I'd make a little record of everything I did with my year 10 students this year. I only have them two days a week which makes it hard to have continuity (read: 15 year olds have a lot of trouble remembering what happened in class a week ago!! not that I blame them!)

So first up was a foray into archaeology which led into a look at Ancient Egypt, in particular King Tut.
Verdict: they did most of the work but mostly under duress.

Then we did a quick unit on World War I which was meant to culminate in the watching of Gallipoli, an awesome 80s moving starring Mel Gibson. If you haven't seen it you should. We didn't make it to the movie but the kids seemed more responsive to the WWI topic.

Then on Friday, the last day of school we had an excursion to see The Hunger Games, which the kids had been reading in the English lessons. The movie was good, fairly true to form to the book but you still have to get past that fairly disturbing premise of kids killing kids. But the two kids we had on the excursion both really liked it! Big turn out I know, but what can you expect for the last day of term??

So after the excursion I headed back to school to work on the World Issues unit I'm doing with them next term and got my desk cleaned up. Check it out:


Bye Ridge! Bye Brooke! Have a great holiday!!


Hope everyone else who has kids or is a teacher or is simply on holidays at the moment enjoys them! I know we sure will!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Woo hoo happy holidays.